STATE OF NEW HAMPSHIRE
CLASSIFICATION: MENTAL HEALTH WORKER II
Class Code: 6224-11 Date Established: 12-06-74
Occupational Code: 3-2-3 Date of Last Revision: 12-28-01
BASIC PURPOSE: To supervise and provide specialized services in the care of patients/residents, including monitoring living areas and acting as a group leader for patients/residents with moderately difficult problems.
CHARACTERISTIC DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
· Acts as group leader for patients/residents with moderately difficult problems to solve.
· Provides patients/residents with basic information, assists them in solving basic social problems and facilitates patient/resident adjustment to new living circumstances within the hospital environment.
· Assists in planning and providing for the daily needs of individuals and groups of patients/residents regarding personal hygiene, feeding, and medications (Transitional Housing Services only).
· Takes and records vital signs and reports results to nurse or Component Director/Resident Services Director for positions assigned to Transitional Housing Services. May collect samples for routine laboratory examinations.
· Documents according to agency requirements.
· Assists and participates in training of MHW Trs and MHW Is performing direct patient/resident care and house/unit maintenance.
· May participate as a member of a treatment team by sharing observations of patients/residents behaviors and by supporting and implementing treatment team recommendations.
· Documents observations and interactions in formal records which are used for treatment and work management purposes; orders needed supplies for team and house/unit operations.
· Provides feedback to MHW Trs and MHW Is in performing a full range of direct care responsibilities.
Skill: Requires skill in applying instructions to accomplish different job functions OR in operating machines for a variety of different purposes.
Knowledge: Requires understanding and using business or trades vocabulary or basic arithmetic to perform standard operating procedures.
Impact: Requires responsibility for contributing to agency objectives by ensuring the accuracy of support activities within one or more organizational units. Errors at this level affect the work of others or have measurable monetary consequences, and require verification and correction in order to complete succeeding work operations.
Supervision: Requires partial supervision of other employees doing work which is related or similar to the supervisor, including assigning job duties, providing training, giving instructions and checking work.
Working Conditions: Requires performing regular job functions in an adverse working environment containing a combination of disagreeable elements which impact significantly upon the employee's capacity for completing work assignments. This level includes work-related accidents or assault.
Physical Demands: Requires medium to heavy work, including continuous physical exertion such as frequent bending, lifting or climbing.
Communication: Requires explaining facts, interpreting situations, or advising individuals of alternative or appropriate courses of action. This level also requires interviewing or eliciting information from state employees or members of the general public.
Complexity: Requires a combination of job functions using minimal judgment to perform a variety of job tasks according to clearly prescribed standard practices and procedures.
Independent Action: Requires making a limited number of choices in selecting among alternative courses of action under supervisory guidance and in performing job functions according to a variety of prescribed policies or procedures.
Education: Graduation from high school, G.E.D. or its equivalent. Each additional year of approved formal education may be substituted for one year of work experience. Approved formal education includes courses or a degree in psychology, social science, special education, any of the health professions, or other area of approved study.
Experience: Two years of experience in the care of mentally ill or emotionally disturbed persons in a psychiatric facility, two years as a Mental Health Worker, or two years of work experience in a position or combination of positions, that would evidence possession of the requisite skills necessary for satisfactory performance at this level.
License/Certification: Must be certified as a Mental Health Worker. Valid driver's license if required by job function and noted on the supplemental job description.
FOR TRANSITIONAL HOUSING AT NEW HAMPSHIRE HOSPITAL and LACONIA DESIGNATED RECEIVING FACILITY: Must meet educational requirements, certifications, competencies and employment criteria as specified under He-M 1001, He-M 1201, He-M 506, and He-M 426 as applicable to job responsibilities. One additional labor grade is provided for Medication Certification. Employee certification is reviewed and renewed annually.
RECOMMENDED WORK TRAITS: Knowledge of the physical and emotional problems of psychiatric patients/residents/clients. Demonstrated organizational ability. Ability to maintain a rehabilitative attitude in relationships with patients/residents/clients. Based on in-service training, knowledge of mental illness and various treatment techniques applied in the facility. Ability to identify and complete tasks and groups of tasks to be accomplished at the ward/house or unit level. Ability to recognize, identify and respond appropriately to the physical and emotional needs of patients/residents/clients. Ability to participate as an integral part of a patient/resident/client care, treatment and rehabilitative process. Ability to discharge primary care responsibilities including basic nursing needs under general supervision. Ability to cooperate and relate to patients/residents/clients, lower level workers, supervisors and superiors within the team. Ability to read and write. Must be willing to maintain appearance appropriate to assigned duties and responsibilities as determined by the agency appointing authority.
DISCLAIMER STATEMENT: This class specification is descriptive of general duties and is not intended to list every specific function of this class title.
Last Updated 05/10/02